SEC. 17-18-11. Hazardous Waste Technical Siting Committee.
(1) There is hereby created the Hazardous Waste Technical Siting Committee, which shall be located within the Department of Finance and Administration. The committee shall exercise all of its powers independently of the department and, notwithstanding any other provision of law, shall be subject to the direction and supervision of the executive director of the department only with respect to the management functions of administration, coordination and reporting.
(2) The committee shall continue in existence until thirty (30) days after facility operation begins. Upon the termination of the committee all of its rights and properties shall pass to and be vested in the state.
(3) The department shall provide such technical, clerical and other support services and personnel as the committee may require in the performance of its functions. The executive director of the department shall be the chief administrative officer of the committee.
(4) The committee shall not exceed twelve (12) members: one (1) of whom shall be the director of the emergency management agency, one (1) of whom shall be the state economist, one (1) of whom shall be the Executive Director of the Department of Economic and Community Development, one (1) of whom shall be the Director of the Highway Department, one (1) of whom shall be the State Chemist and not more than seven (7) members to be appointed by the Commissioner of Higher Education from persons with technical expertise in geology, water resources, environmental engineering, environmental biology/ecology, environmental health, sociology, governmental affairs, production agriculture or cultural resources. The Commissioner of Higher Education shall appoint the members on or before July 1, 1990. Members appointed by the Commissioner of Higher Education shall be knowledgeable in aspects of hazardous waste management.
(5) Members of the committee may designate substitute or alternate members to act in their stead should they be unable to attend any meeting or perform any function of the committee.
(6) Members of the committee shall be reimbursed for expenses in accordance with Section 25-3-41.
SOURCES: Laws, 1990, ch. 506, Sec. 8, eff from and after passage (approved March 31, 1990).