SEC. 27-19-46. Special license tags or plates; congressional officials; enforcement and investigative personnel; commanders of veterans' groups.
(1) The State Tax Commission is hereby authorized to issue special distinctive license plates under the provisions hereinafter set forth. Such tags shall be issued to persons who qualify under subsection (2) of this section, and such tags shall be of such form and appearance as the commission shall provide subject to the approval of the License Tag Commission and in accordance with the provisions of Section 27-19-41.
(2) (a) The following persons shall be eligible to display special distinctive license plates under the provisions of this section:
(i) United States Senators;
(ii) Members of the United States House of Representatives;
(iii) Enforcement and investigative personnel of the State Tax Commission;
(iv) Enforcement and investigative personnel of the Public Service Commission;
(v) State Commanders of the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and The Forty and Eight; * * *
(vi) Former United States Congressmen and Senators;
(vii) Enforcement and investigative personnel of the Mississippi Department of Public Safety;
(viii) Enforcement and investigative personnel of the Mississippi Department of Transportation; and
(ix) Enforcement and investigative personnel of the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics.
(b) The State Tax Commission shall promulgate reasonable regulations regarding certification of eligibility to receive such tags.
(3) (a) When a passenger car for which a special license tag has been issued is sold or traded by the owner, the special tag may be transferred to the new or other car which is replacing the car for which the license tag was originally issued, without additional charge, upon application to the commission with proof that the regular license tag has been purchased for such replacement car.
(b) The State Tax Commission shall make such rules and regulations as necessary to ascertain compliance with all state license laws relating to use and operation of a private passenger car before issuing these tags in lieu of the regular Mississippi license plate, and all applications for such tags shall be made to the commission.
(c) The State Tax Commission shall not issue such special tag or tags authorized by law until the commission is first furnished a copy of the ad valorem tax receipt paid by the owner of such vehicle from the county and city in which he resides, and the commission shall keep a current list of such tags issued as a public record.
(4) Enforcement and investigative personnel of any federal, state or local government agency are eligible to display regular license plates on vehicles used in the performance of their duties upon application to the State Tax Commission. The commission shall make such rules and regulations needed regarding the issuance of such license plates.
(5) The provisions of this section are supplemental to the motor vehicle licensing laws of the State of Mississippi, and nothing herein shall be construed as abridging or amending such laws.
SOURCES: Laws, 1974, ch. 533 §§ 1-4; Laws, 1982, ch. 427, § 7; Laws, 1992, ch. 497, § 9; Laws, 2001, ch. 596, § 8, SB 2699, eff from and after July 1, 2001.
PREVIOUS VERSIONS: Pre-2001
Chapter Index | Table of Contents