SEC. 27-19-56.25. Special license tags or plates; Eagle Scouts and Girl Scout Gold Award recipients.
(1) The owner of a motor vehicle who has achieved the rank of Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America or who has received the Gold Award which is the highest ranking in Girl Scouting as recognized by the Girl Scouts of America, upon complying with the motor vehicle laws relating to registration and licensing of motor vehicles, and upon payment of the road and bridge privilege taxes, ad valorem taxes and registration fees as prescribed by law for private carriers of passengers, pickup trucks and other noncommercial motor vehicles, and upon payment of an additional annual fee in the amount of Fifteen Dollars ($15.00), shall be privileged to obtain one (1) distinctive motor vehicle license plate or tag identifying him as an Eagle Scout or a recipient of the Gold Award.
(2) The distinctive Eagle Scout plates or tags shall be of a color and design designated by the State Tax Commission; provided, however, that the Eagle Scout emblem shall be displayed on the tag or plate. The emblem shall be affixed during the production of the license plate or tag. The distinctive Gold Award plates or tags shall be of a color or design as designated by the State Tax Commission.
(3) Application for the special license tags or plates shall be made to the county tax collector on forms prescribed by the State Tax Commission. An applicant for such distinctive plates or tags shall present to the county such written evidence of the applicant's rank of Eagle Scout or such applicant's receipt of the Girl Scout's Gold Award as may be considered satisfactory by the State Tax Commission. The application and the additional fee, less five percent (5%) thereof to be retained by the tax collector, shall be remitted to the State Tax Commission on a monthly basis as prescribed by the commission and shall be deposited to the credit of the State General Fund. The portion of the additional fee retained by the tax collector shall be deposited into the county general fund.
(4) The special license tag shall be issued for a one-year period. The additional annual fee shall be due and payable at the time of renewal registration.
(5) The State Tax Commission shall deposit all fees into the State Treasury on the day received. At the end of each month, the State Tax Commission shall certify the total fees collected under this section to the State Treasurer.
SOURCES: Laws 2000, Ch. 536, §. 15, HB280, eff. July 1, 2000.