SEC. 49-15-29. Taxes and license fees to be collected by the commission.
(1) The commission shall assess and collect license fees and taxes as authorized under this chapter.
(2) All commercial licenses provided for under this chapter that relate to seafood shall be purchased from May 1 through April 30 at the fees provided in this chapter. The licenses shall expire on April 30 following the date of issuance.
(3) When an application for an original or renewal license of any kind authorized by this chapter is received by the commission, the commission shall determine whether the vessel or related equipment subject to that license is owned and operated in compliance with applicable federal and state laws. If the commission determines that a vessel or its owner is not in compliance with applicable federal and state laws, then no license shall be issued or renewed for the operation of that vessel for a period of one (1) year. All licenses shall be made available for purchase at any building which is regularly operated by the department or commission on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
(4) The commission may authorize any person, other than a salaried employee of the state to issue any license under this chapter which the commission deems appropriate. The authorized person may collect and retain for issuance of the license the sum of One Dollar ($1.00) in addition to the license fee provided in this chapter. The commission shall establish the qualifications of persons authorized to issue licenses under this section and shall also establish the procedure for the issuance of that license by the authorized person and the procedure for collection of license fees by and from the authorized person.
(5) The commission may design, establish, and administer a program to provide for the purchase, by electronic means, of any license, permit, registration or reservation issued by the commission or department. Any actual costs associated to provide these documents electronically may be added to the cost of the electronic program.
SOURCES: Codes, 1942, Sec. 6047-18; Laws, 1960, ch. 173, Sec. 18; 1975, ch. 321, Sec. 2; 1977, ch. 463, Sec. 2; 1980, ch. 361; 1982, ch. 446, Sec. 3; 1984, ch. 513; 1985, ch. 512, Sec. 1; 1986, ch. 408, Sec. 1; 1988, ch. 395, Sec. 2; 1988, ch. 398. Laws, 1991, ch. 564, Sec. 2; 1992, ch. 550, Sec. 2; 1993, ch. 603, Sec. 2; 1994, ch. 578, Sec. 51, eff from and after July 1, 1994; 1994 Ex Sess, ch. 28, Sec. 1, eff from and after passage (approved August 24, 1994). 1997 Laws, Chapter 579, Sec. 19, HB1480, Effective July 2, 1997. Amended by Laws 1999, Ch. 519, Sec. 1, HB1304; Laws, 2003, ch. 389, § 1, HB 1171, eff from and after July 1, 2003.
PREVIOUS VERSIONS: Pre-2003
Chapter Index | Table of Contents