SEC. 73-21-83. Board to regulate practice of pharmacy; licensing of pharmacists; fees; persons holding license on July 1, 1991. [Repealed effective July 1, 2006].
(1) The board shall be responsible for the control and regulation of the practice of pharmacy, to include the regulation of pharmacy externs or interns and pharmacist technicians, in this state, the regulation of the wholesaler distribution of drugs and devices as defined in Section 73-21-73, and the distribution of sample drugs or devices by manufacturer's distributors as defined in Section 73-21-73 by persons other than the original manufacturer or distributor in this state.
(2) A license for the practice of pharmacy shall be obtained by all persons prior to their engaging in the practice of pharmacy. However, the provisions of this chapter shall not apply to physicians, dentists, veterinarians, osteopaths or other practitioners of the healing arts who are licensed under the laws of the State of Mississippi and are authorized to dispense and administer prescription drugs in the course of their professional practice.
(3) The initial licensure fee shall be set by the board but shall not exceed Two Hundred Dollars ($200.00).
(4) All students actively enrolled in a professional school of pharmacy accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education who are making satisfactory progress toward graduation and who act as an extern or intern under the direct supervision of a pharmacist in a location permitted by the Board of Pharmacy must obtain a pharmacy student registration prior to engaging in such activity. The student registration fee shall be set by the board but shall not exceed One Hundred Dollars ($100.00).
(5) All persons licensed to practice pharmacy prior to July 1, 1991, by the State Board of Pharmacy under Section 73-21-89 shall continue to be licensed under the provisions of Section 73-21-91.
SOURCES: Laws, 1983, ch. 414, Sec. 7; 1991, ch. 527, Sec. 7; 1993, ch. 416, Sec. 8; 1994, ch. 513, Sec. 2, eff from and after July 1, 1994; 1997 Laws, Chapter 441, Sec. 1, SB2514, Effective July 1, 1997; reenacted without change, Laws, 1998, Ch. 511, § 8, HB 1347, eff June 30, 1998; Reenacted without change, Laws, 2002, ch. 501, § 8, SB 2129, eff from and after July 1, 2002.
PREVIOUS VERSIONS: Pre-2002.
Chapter Index | Table of Contents